Under current IACSD guidance, any practitioner who was not practising sedation independently prior to April 2015, is designated a ‘New Starter’ and will need to undergo a period of supervised clinical practice before being able to practice sedation independently.
SAAD is able to facilitate acquisition of the required supervised clinical experience (see IACSD Standards, Table 1) by offering a place on the SAAD Assessed Sedationist (SAS) scheme. The SAS scheme follows on from attendance of the SAAD National course where practitioners will have appropriate knowledge and skills training. You can register for the SAAD National course here
The new SAS scheme is approved by IACSD and includes approval of your proposed supervisor, verification of your Clinical Logbook, Direct Observation of Practice (DOP) forms and the Practice Evaluation. Successful practitioners will receive a SAAD certificate confirming ‘SAAD Assessed Sedationist’ status which will enable you to practise independently. The fee for enrolment on the SAS scheme is £300.
Enrolment in the SAS scheme is by invitation and is only available for ‘New Starters’ registered to attend a SAAD National course. The invitation will be an emailed link to the SAS scheme registration.
When registering for the SAS scheme you will need to identify and provide details of an appropriate clinical supervisor. SAAD does not currently hold a list of sedation ‘mentors’. Please note that SAAD cannot become involved in any financial or contractual arrangements between you and your supervisor.
The following information will be required:
- Date you will attend the SAAD National Course
- Intended sedation technique(s)
- Age group of patients (adults, children or both)
- Name of proposed clinical supervisor(s)
- GDC / GMC No. of proposed clinical supervisor(s)
- Qualifications of proposed clinical supervisor(s)
- Sedation experience of proposed clinical supervisor(s)
- Sedation services offered by proposed clinical supervisor(s)
- Address of the practice(s) where the clinical supervision will take place and a brief description of sedation facilities
If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact us, email@example.com