SAAD Assessed Sedationist (SAS) scheme
New to sedation?
Then the SAS scheme is for you!
- STAC accredited course
- Final written and practical assessments
- Documents for recording your supervised clinical experience
- Advice and support
- Certificate of completion
The SAS scheme is accredited by IACSD / Sedation Training Accreditation Committee (STAC), RCSEng and includes approval of your supervisor, verification of your Clinical Logbook, Direct Observation of Procedural Skills (DOPS) forms and the SAS Practice Checklist.
Successful practitioners will receive a SAAD certificate confirming ‘SAAD Assessed Sedationist’ status which will enable you to practise independently.
The registration deadline is ten days BEFORE attending the SAAD National Course. It is not possible to register for the SAS scheme after you have attended the SAAD National Course
The stages of the SAS scheme
- Registration for the two day SAAD National Course
- Registration for the SAS scheme, nomination of a clinical supervisor and payment of the course fee.
- Acceptance on to the SAS scheme and approval of the clinical supervisor
- Attendance at the SAAD National Course
- Successful completion of the written assessment at the end of the SAAD National Course
- Completion of 20 IV and/or 10 IS cases under supervision
- Submission of logbook(s), DOPs and Practice Evaluation Checklist(s) to SAAD
- Internal moderation of documents by SAAD
- Satisfactory completion is confirmed and you become a SAAD Assessed Sedationist able to provide sedation independently in accordance with the IACSD Standards (2015)
You will need to nominate a supervisor to supervise your clinical experience. A suitable supervisor is someone who has a dental sedation qualification or is an experienced dental sedationist, and is providing dental sedation on a regular basis. When you register for the SAS scheme you will need to be able to provide the following:
- Name of proposed clinical supervisor(s)
- GDC / GMC No. of proposed clinical supervisor(s)
- Qualifications of proposed clinical supervisor(s)
- Dental sedation experience of proposed clinical supervisor(s)
- Dental sedation services offered by proposed clinical supervisor(s)
- Address of the practice(s) where the clinical supervision will take place
- A brief description of sedation facilities
It is possible to nominate more than one supervisor, and so complete your supervised experience at more than one location You can use the Additional Supervisor Request Form to submit the details.