SAAD Assessed Sedation Nurse (SASN) scheme
New to sedation?
Then the SASN scheme is for you!
- STAC accredited course
- Advice and support provided
- Documents for recording your supervised clinical experience
- Final written and practical assessments
- Certificate of completion
- SAAD Assessed badge
The SASN scheme is accredited by IACSD / Sedation Training Accreditation Committee (STAC), RCSEng and includes approval of your supervisor, verification of your Clinical Logbook, Direct Observation of Procedural Skills (DOPS) forms and the SASN Practice Checklist.
Successful Dental Nurses will receive a SAAD certificate confirming ‘SAAD Assessed Sedation Nurse’ status which will enable you to independently assist with the provision of sedation. The registration deadline is ten days BEFORE attending the SAAD National Course.
The stages of the SASN scheme
- Registration for the two day SAAD National Course
- Attendance at the SAAD National Course
- Register on the SASN course
- Nomination of a clinical supervisor and payment of the SASN scheme fee
- Acceptance on to the scheme and approval of the clinical supervisor(s)
- Completion of 20 IV and/or 10 IS cases
- Submission of logbook, DOPS sheets, practice evaluation checklist (PEC) and document submission checklist to SAAD
- Internal moderation of documents by SAAD
- Final assessment date set
- Attend for final written and practical assessment (both IV and IS)
- Successful completion of the assessment
- Certificate sent to confirm that you are a SAAD Assessed Sedation Nurse qualified to assist in the provision of dental sedation in accordance with the IACSD guidance
You will need to nominate a supervisor to supervise your clinical experience. A suitable supervisor is someone who has a dental sedation qualification or is an experienced dental sedationist or registered dental nurse, and is providing dental sedation on a regular basis. When you register for the SASN scheme you will need to be able to provide the following:
- Name of proposed clinical supervisor(s)
- GDC / GMC No. of proposed clinical supervisor(s)
- Qualifications of proposed clinical supervisor(s)
- Dental sedation experience of proposed clinical supervisor(s)
- Dental sedation services offered by proposed clinical supervisor(s)
- Address of the practice(s) where the clinical supervision will take place
- A brief description of sedation facilities
It is possible to nominate more than one supervisor, and so complete your supervised experience at more than one location You can use the Additional Supervisor Request Form to submit the details.