Inhalation Sedation Machine Loan Scheme
Inhalation sedation is a technique that is taught on the regularly held SAAD courses.
In order to facilitate the uptake of its use, the SAAD Board has approved a scheme to loan inhalation sedation and scavenging systems for a six-month period to SAAD members who are registered as a dentist, medical doctor or dental hygienist/therapist and have recently attended a SAAD National Course in Conscious Sedation. At the end of this time period the user will be offered the opportunity to purchase the system from SAAD at a discount.
- SAAD is committed to facilitating the use of Inhalation Sedation by its members to improve the quality of a patient’s clinical experience.
- SAAD will provide advice, support and encouragement to the successful scheme users on the use of Inhalation Sedation during the trial period.
The clinician delivering Inhalation Sedation under this scheme will
- Arrange for the installation of the units in the surgery environment*
- Organise the supply of medicinal gases
- Ensure that an approved engineer undertakes any necessary servicing or repairs; these expenses will be borne by the practitioner.
- The clinician will be expected to make a formal report to the SAAD Board at the end of the trial period. This document should include information on the number of cases treated, the type of care delivered, the quality of sedation provided and other relevant outcomes.
(* The specialist anaesthetic company McKesson will visit the clinical setting to provide advice and assistance with technical aspects related to the Inhalational Sedation machines and the scavenging units.)
- The clinician must practise Inhalational Sedation within the context of the recommendations of the Intercollegiate Advisory Committee for Sedation in Dentistry ‘Standards for Conscious Sedation in the Provision of Dental Care. 2020’
- The clinician must demonstrate that appropriately sedation trained chair-side support staff are available prior to accepting delivery of the equipment.
- The clinician accepts legal responsibility for the consequences of using the Inhalation Sedation equipment.
Criteria for entry to the scheme
- Be a SAAD member who is registered as a dentist/medical doctor/dental hygienist or therapist
- Have attended a recent SAAD National Course in Conscious Sedation
- Complete the application form and submit a project plan
The project plan should clearly demonstrate:
- Current sedation provision
- Scope of the proposed Inhalation Sedation service
- Staff trained in the provision of Inhalation Sedation
- Date of the most recent ILS training for the above staff and PILS training if children are going to be sedated
- Date of most recent sedation CPD
- Outcome measures
An awarding panel consisting of SAAD Trustees will consider the applications and offer the successful candidates the opportunity to participate in this scheme. A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) will be sent to the clinician, and the loan will be organised once the signed MoU has been returned to SAAD.
Enquiries should be addressed to Fiona Trimingham firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application forms and project plans should be submitted to email@example.com.