Countdown to Start Date
The ability to provide safe and effective conscious sedation is a great attribute for a dental team. Patients with a real fear of dentistry or with other conditions which make it difficult for them to be treated under LA alone rightfully expect conscious sedation to be available. Conscious sedation is an integral element of the control of pain and anxiety in the delivery of dental care. In dentistry, it has an excellent record of safety - this is the result of a long history of effective knowledge, skills and experience-based training and regular CPD.
This course provides an update for the DHTs involved in the provision of dental care under inhalation sedation.
Even if you are not able to attend the live event on Saturday 27 November, please do still register because you will be able to view the recording and claim your CPD certificate!
We have an excellent and experienced line up of speakers, all of whom are members of the SAAD Teaching Faculty.
Consultant in Special Care Dentistry. KCL Dental Institute
Najla is a member of staff at Guys and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust / KCL Dental Institute, in the Department of Sedation and Special Care Dentistry. She is involved in teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students in the department and in treating patients with a variety of sedation techniques.
Consultant Health Psychologist. KCL Dental Institute
Jen is a Consultant Health Psychologist at Guy’s & St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust and leads the Dental Psychology Service; providing input for individuals with dental phobia, oro-facial pain and orthognathic surgical assessments.
Deputy Sedation Lead, Paediatric Dental Department at King’s College Dental Institute
Yi is Deputy Sedation Lead in the Paediatric Department at King’s College Dental Institute. Her role includes provision of advanced sedation and teaching dental undergraduates. She completed the Diploma in Conscious Sedation at Newcastle University and has a background as a GDP providing advanced adult and paediatric sedation, as part of an experienced multidisciplinary team. Yi is a Paediatric Specialty Registrar based at King’s College Dental Institute and Kent Community Health Foundation Trust.
Consultant in Special Care Dentistry at Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust
Damien is a Consultant in Special Care Dentistry. He works between East Surrey Hospital and The Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability, in London. He has a particular interest in dental management of patients with obesity.
- Understand the principles of safe and effective conscious sedation using Basic (IACSD) techniques (nitrous oxide / oxygen and midazolam) with a focus on inhalation sedation
- Understand and reflect on the importance of patient assessment including airway assessment
- Recognise potential airway and breathing difficulties
- Understand the significance of medical problems, including concurrent medication
- Describe the use of conscious sedation techniques including the administration of sedation drug/s, monitoring, recovery and discharge
- Be aware of the use of psychological techniques as an adjunct to treatment with conscious sedation
- Understand the differences and adjustments required for paediatric inhalation sedation
- Be aware of National guidance on conscious sedation
GDC DEVELOPMENT OUTCOMES
Attendance of the webinar fulfils the GDC development outcomes A, C, & D and provides 6 1/4 hours sedation CPD